Sunday 2 September 2012

Black and White Rice Pancakes

I don't know what you'd call the blogging equivalent of stage fright, but I've stopped using that as an excuse for not sharing my recipes with the world. If I can jump headfirst into life-changing endeavours like going to culinary school for two years or getting married this past May, I can do this.

So to begin, I thought I'd introduce you to a recipe that's entirely of my own creation: black and white rice pancakes with tropical fruit compote.


The rice pancakes are made the usual way, except for replacing most of the flour with pre-cooked black japonica and basmati rice and the milk with coconut milk. They are topped with a compote made with pineapple, mango, marmalade, rum, vanilla and grand marnier, and garnished with toasted pistachios and a dollop of whipped cream.



Why rice pancakes? I've participated in a few culinary competitions, and my favourite aspect of doing them has been the challenge of creating an original recipe. When I entered the USA Rice Federation's contest, I didn't want to do a dish typically associated with rice like pudding or pilaf, but something different. So I thought, everybody loves breakfast!


I've been asked what the thinking process is like for coming up with a new recipe. In my experience, it starts with a brainstorm of substitutions. Michael Ruhlman wrote a book explaining that ratios are the key to basic preparations, and that simply by honouring those standard proportions, you can free yourself from the limitations of a recipe. My process begins with looking at the fundamentals of the standard recipe (i.e. basic pancakes) and then coming up with substitutions for each ingredient that are equivalent in texture and flavour until I come up with my new dish. Now, I'm not suggesting that cooked rice and flour are equivalents in cooking, but that's why testing your new recipe is important!

This process has endless possibilities and the experience is incredibly rewarding when you get your estimations right. Coming up with something new is a great way to gain confidence in the kitchen. Don't believe me? Try this recipe at home and tell me if it made you look at (and taste!) pancakes in a new way. I certainly did!

Black and White Rice Coconut Pancakes with Tropical Fruit Compote

Makes 14 large pancakes

Pancakes
1 cup cooked USA White Basmati Rice
1/3 cup cooked USA Black Japonica Rice
2 cups coconut milk (I like Aroy-D or Tosca Brand)
2 tsp lime juice
2 large eggs, separated
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pastry flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Compote
1/2 mango, peeled, cored and diced small
1/3 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced small
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cup mango juice
1 tsp white rum
1 tsp grand marnier
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp vanilla

Garnish
2 tbsp shelled pistachios, chopped and toasted
1/3 cup whipped cream

Beat the egg whites until light and airy. Combine with the coconut milk, lime juice, egg yolks and 2 tbsp of the melted butter in a large bowl. Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to the mixture and stir until just combined. Mix the basmati rice into the pancake batter until evenly distributed.

Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush with 1 tbsp melted butter. Once the butter begins to foam, sprinkle 1 tsp of the black rice in the pan and pour 1/3 cup of the pancake batter over top of the black rice. Sprinkle the top of the pancake with 1/2 tsp black rice.

Cook until several bubbles begin to form on the top of the pancake, then flip with the spatula and cook until the pancake is golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining rice and batter. Add remaining melted butter to pan if needed to finish cooking pancakes.

To make the compote, slowly boil brown sugar, mango juice, rum and grand marnier in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar has melted. Add marmalade, lime juice, and vanilla. Simmer mixture until the jam is melted and it reaches a syrup consistency. Remove the saucepan from heat and combine with the diced mango and pineapple in a bowl. Serve once the compote has cooled slightly and the liquid has thickened slightly.

To assemble the dish, lay 3 pancakes on the plate so that they overlap and spoon the compote over them. Top with a generous tablespoon of whipped cream and a teaspoon of toasted pistachios.

Print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment